Dec 10, 2011

"I Have Only One Objective and No Options"





                                               My Jerusalem Declaration 


Today, November 14, marks an important day in my life. After some crucial steps in the Holy Land, I am beginning to think about my next path while moving forward from Jerusalem. 

As a child of conflict, I have been through indescribable and undesirable challenges. Now, as I reflect upon my past and look toward future, I find myself in another region marked by yet another protracted conflict.   


I understand and respect the value of each and every life regardless of religion, race, region, relationship, culture, tradition, gender, history and identity. My feelings, desires, and actions are based on an understand of humanity that can unite all of us who yearn for a just and lasting peace in this world. The goal of this process is to a circle of multiple components, namely, justice, dignity, freedom and peace. 

My past and present intelligibly shows that such a multi-faceted circle cannot be achieved without a struggle. Therefore, I reaffirm my commitment to continue my struggle. This struggle needs dedication and sacrifice, which emerge through passion, belief, confidence, a positive attitude and a fighting spirit. I know my choice is challenging and my path is rough, but my goal is definitive and decisive. While the future is uncertain, I remain full of hope, optimism and positive energy.      

Even if I am alone in this struggle, I strongly believe my voice will echo and spark awareness among other committed people, to in turn stand up against injustice. This is a lesson learned from my past.  I am not going to ask "give me liberty or give me death," but I will decide my future. I have a right to determine my life. I will fight for my liberty. In this struggle, I will reach freedom with dignity and achieve the eventual goal of just peace.

Three years ago, I left my country against my will. My life in exile gave me an unexpected opportunity to realize again that while my struggle started in Sri Lanka, it is not just for the people in Sri Lankan. I listen to my heart, I follow my intuition and I act based on my moral command. I will raise my voice and act, where ever I see oppression and injustice.  I will work harder. Even if working for just peace is labelled an offence, I will continue to work relentlessly. For this cause, I am ready to pay any price in any circumstance.

I am fighting not to die, but to survive. I am fighting to protect the defenceless people. I know that death is inevitable in a struggle like this; I have lost loved ones and may lose more. However, I am not going to give up my struggle in any situation. There are no options and only one objective. My struggle is for humanity, dignity, equality, liberty, democracy, justice and durable peace in Sri Lanka, as well as for the world.   
    
I end my declaration with three quotes from Mohandas Gandhi.

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." "I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill."  "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

NB: This declaration has written on the 14 November, 2011 during my stay in Jerusalem with a few inserted sentences from my past talks at the international forums. I decided to share this declaration now as we celebrate 63rd International Human Rights Day today. 

6 comments:

Davinci said...

Hi Nirma,

Jerusalem means many things to many people. For me it means conscience of common humanity and uniting for the principles of humanity, peace and dignity for the people where ever they live. You have made an inspirational plea for humanity and peace in a right place. Be the quest for humanity and peace to all as our driving force.

Raj

Selvin said...

Vanakkam Nirma,My youngest,

We need to go on very long way to realize the meaning of our birth.

We are not just for born, eat and dring, child rearing and dead. beyond that we have reasons to be here as human beings.

Mahakavi Bharathy said


We are together
Selvin

Selvin said...

Vanakkam Nirma my youngest

We have to go further on realization of the meaning of our birth. We are not for just born, eat, have sex and child rearing and dead. Beyond that....
Maha Kavi Bharathy questioned .
< Nallathor veenai seithe athai nalam keda puluthiyil erivathundo, sollady sivasakthy, sudar migu arivudan ennaip padaiththuviddai>.

we are with you for struggle on human emancipation.
regards
Selvin

Senthan said...

It is an inspiring declaration of your commitment and determination. Your words carry weight and make us to stay in the spirit of freedom and equality of all human beings.



Senthan

Anonymous said...

your voice echoes.
I admire you.
Shahaf

Art said...

It's a beautiful declaration and clearly heart-felt. Two million, maybe only 150,000, Nirmas in the world, and I think our troubles would be over. Carry on my friend.

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cheap international voip calls